This article is about a *natural flow solar geyser system with a flat panel (as in the picture) which we serviced recently. The question is to: Service a solar geyser system…yes or no?
*natural flow = thermosiphon (it is where the geyser is located higher than the solar water panel and no pump is required to circulate the water between the geyser and the panel).
After a few years of working hard to harness the sun’s energy to heat your geyser water, various factors may play a role in the continued efficiency of your solar geyser system:
The environment and man may have an impact on the need for a service over time.
- The sun/birds/squirrels may be working away at the *lagging around the water pipes on the roof; * lagging is insulation material which limits heat loss.
- We sometimes find that squirrels and/or rats enter the roof space and damage the Geyserwise controller wires and or lagging within the roof;
- Dust and other material may collect on the surface of the panel(s) and impact on the absorbtion of the sun’s heat energy;
- Another factor may be that repairs to the municipal water network may result in debris moving into your solar water panels and impact its efficiency;
- Just after the installation, the new owners are usually very excited to experment with the different options on the timer and over time they forget and then the settings don’t really suit their needs anymore due to changed circumstances in their household;
- Maintenance work at the house may result in someone stepping on parts of the solar geyser pipework or other parts and damage occurs;
- Smaller parts (element, timer, pressure control valve, etc.) may be or become faulty, although we stick to trusted parts from reliable suppliers.
We find that the service requirements differ from area to area due to the weather and environmental differences. We therefore propose a basic service for our existing clients in order to keep the expenses as low as possible. If we find that e.g. the lagging need to be replaced, we then first discuss it with the client and get his/her approval to replace it. The basic service has a fixed cost (if we have to travel quite a distance, we will then discuss additional fuel cost with the client beforehand).